In anticipation of the holiday season, many of us find ourselves increasingly shopping online to avoid crowded storefronts. Unfortunately, cyber scammers are paying attention and routinely amplify their tactics this time of year. With product shortages due to supply and shipping bottlenecks around the globe, scammers are using phishing tactics to target shoppers looking for those hard-to-find gifts.
The risk? You might click “complete purchase” before checking to see if a deal is legitimate. Once your information is in the hands of an entity with malicious intent, the damage may already be done.
As you make your online purchases, stay vigilant by following these simple 6 cyber tips.
- Stick with reputable retailers as you do your holiday shopping.
- Only shop on secure websites with URLs that start with HTTPS, not HTTP. Cyber criminals often create phony websites to collect you credit card and personal information.
- Learn how to spot a scam and identify deals that are too good to be true.
- Safeguard your online store accounts with strong passwords.
- Don’t shop on public Wi-Fi.
- Check your bank accounts for fraud after your holiday shopping.
Don’t let a cyber scam ruin your holiday spirit! Contact a member of our executive risk team for more tips and cyber security protocols.